Sunday 21 October 2012

Rest in peace, dear friend

I was digging and splitting a huge Leucanthemum for my neighbour this afternoon. The whole thing must have been a good 4ft in diameter, and had been in for some time. The fact is that it did not want to move.

I didn't want to have to walk back to my van and get my heavy drain cutting spade and I thought I'd be OK using a combination of fork, spade and hard graft to get the monstrous thing out... until I heard a loud crack.

So my good trusty garden fork has fallen to the mighty Leucanthemum. I know that wooden handles are not the best for heavy work, but I will admit that I much prefer the feel of them, so I will replace this fork with another of the same type, but bearing in mind that the next one will also not be indestructible.

However all is not lost- I found that the metal end of the fork makes an excellent extra large hand fork for loosening soil under weeds, so at least there is a new life to come for my trusty border fork!

4 comments:

  1. I currently have 2 forks, one is missing a prong and the other is rather bent as the result of some similar dividing work! Guess that's my Christmas present sorted though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well yes, but do you go for a super-strong indestructible fork, or something with personality and soul? Buying tools is such a personal thing- it must have the right 'feel'!

      Delete
  2. Alas, poor Forik! I knew him well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alas, the spam filter doesn't intercept lousy jokes!!! :-p

      Delete