Thursday 12 June 2014

Sitting out

I've treated myself to a new chair. It's nothing posh, just a comfy folding camp chair, the type used by fishermen etc. Having nowhere to sit in a garden is not a good thing, but then neither is not having a garden at all. Due to financial constraints, partly living alone and partly working in a fairly low paid industry, I can't afford to rent a property with any ground, so I make do with what I've got, a small concreted yard and a flag-stoned area. Thus everything I grow at home is in pots, and this doesn't exactly make for an easy life. Watering and feeding is a regular activity and most be done when required, regardless of whether I'm in the mood to do it after work. You'd have thought that after a day weeding, watering and feeding plants at work that I wouldn't have the stomach to do it all again when I got home, but for me growing plants isn't an option, it's a necessity.

At work I have to grow what other people tell me to grow, whether that be leylandii or rare shrubs, a few beautiful unusual perennials or never ending batches of Geranium 'Rozanne'. At home I am free, free to indulge my own tastes and grow whatever I want, providing I can grow it in a pot. I do push the boundaries a little and grow a few tender plants, but not many because whatever needs winter protection needs to come indoors. Last winter I was lucky and only needed to bring in my wide sprawling Pelargonium tomentosum a few times, but space indoors is very limited so I can't go for too many tender plants. Of course in pots even some hardy plants can become tender- hardy Impatiens are a little fussier without soil and the protection of other plants for winter. Nonetheless I persevere... because I have to. 
Pelargonium tomentosum- tiny flowers, huge leaves!
Growing in a very small space gives gardeners some serious headaches, but can also make gardening even more fun. I would love a 20 acre arboretum, billowing herbaceous borders, an alpine house, a conservatory... I don't have any of those. This means that my choice of plants has to be precise; I don't have the space to buy large numbers of plants on a whim! I love to have something new, but I have to be confident that I'm buying the right thing because I can afford neither the cash or the space to make a mistake. Each plant I own has been carefully considered.

Some plants I'm immensely proud of, such as my collection of Hostas; H. 'Empress Wu' sits alongside H. 'Francis Williams' and H. 'Jade Cascade', three Hostas I would recommend to anyone without hesitation. In front of my now is Lamprothyrsus hieronymi, a relative of the well known 'Pampas Grasses', the Cortaderias. This species has take to pot culture very well, and now must have more than 20 arching fluffy flowerheads dancing in the wind. Below is Petasites paradoxus, a non-troublesome species with roughly triangular leaves with a pure white underside. Further down, the felty peppermint-scented leaves on Pelargonium tomentosum poke out between a young plant of Debregeasia longifolia given to me by a good friend, and on the other side the green leaves and purple Zebra-striped stems of Impatiens ingsignis, a species I am determined to get into flower. Further back the architectural leaves of Sinacalia tangutica add to the overall lush effect. I will consider myself to be in a 'good place' if I find myself complaining about this magnificent species and its wandering tendencies, but for now it must be contented to live in its pot.
Petasites paradoxus with the leaves of Lamprothyrsus hieronymi
I have troughs too, filled with delightful plants too! Favourite at the moment is Impatiens omeiana 'Pink Nerves', a very exciting new selection/collection of a reliably hardy (in all but the coldest areas anyway) species. Every day I check to see if this plant is coming into flower, but for now I must be content with the beautiful colour of its leaves. Funny thing I've just noticed; my new chair sits me quite low to this plant (with it growing in a deep trough) and puts me at the perfect level to enjoy the bright red undersides of away-facing leaves. This is good.
Impatiens omeiana 'Pink Nerves'
For me growing plants is more than just a hobby or a job. The word 'passion' gets thrown around a lot these days (companies 'passionate about delivering good service/sanitation/pizza etc.), but I can only describe myself as passionate about horticulture. Whereas 'normal' respectable folks enjoy a beer with friends, movie nights with loved ones, or their favourite sports team playing, I am consumed with a need to learn more about what I do and love. I read books, send emails/tweets, share plants and ideas, go to fairs, events and gardens... all of my time and energy is devoted to this all encompassing passion. I should probably report to the nearest psychiatric facility and be put back on the 'straight and narrow', but hey I'm not hurting anyone.

People sometimes ask me where I'd like to be in five years time. Well I'd like to be out in the garden! If my ship comes in then maybe I will get my arboretum etc., but that is fairly unlikely to happen. I would be perfectly happy though growing plants for someone else to enjoy, and maybe I'll get the opportunity to do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment