Thursday 16 October 2014

Decisions made

I've not traditionally been a fan of 'taking the plunge', but sometimes life takes an unexpected turn and new options appear for the first time; they do say that when one door closes another opens....

This is my situation at the moment; one door has closed, I am at a crossroads, 'times they are a-changing'. The day I was told that I was to be made redundant by my employer I felt as though my world had been taken from me, but as time has moved on I have come to see this new part of my life as a great opportunity. I've worked for my soon to be former employer for 10 years, and through that time I have faced and overcome great challenges and built up my reputation for competence and knowledge. My 'online persona', Ben's Botanics, has allowed me to indulge my passion for horticulture and plantsmanship outside the confines set by my employer and develop my skills further than simply working for a nursery would allow.
Rare and interesting plants like Brillantaisia subulugurica are still my first love
My future still very much lies in horticulture; instead of simply working for someone else again I am heading out on my own, converting my redundancy payment into machinery and tools, and becoming a self-employed gardener and consultant.

Sometimes the future is dark and scary, sometimes bright and exciting. Those around me have great faith in my abilities and I am determined not to let anyone down, not least myself. On the 7th of November I will leave my employer's nursery for the very last time and will, I hope, embark on the adventure of a lifetime.

7 comments:

  1. Good luck Ben. The same happened to me 18 years ago, and with a much narrower band of horticultural skills I have enjoyed travelled around the world at least a dozen times, in both directions upon whim. The holidays outward and homeward have shown me wonders both natural and horticultural, beyond my wildest dreams. The world is open.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's a new beginning, but I'm generally optimistic about the future now.

      Delete
  2. I have great faith in you, Ben. You will never look back. Keep us posted, and all the very best with your new venture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much. Really appreciate the support and kindness everyone has shown me.

      Delete
  3. Good luck on your new venture Ben! Onwards and upwards :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Scary but exciting at the same time. I have every faith in you. The good guys always win in the end, I'm depending on it! x

    ReplyDelete