Wednesday 3 June 2015

Hate mail

“Ben. Its time someone let you know something important mate. All your stuff on twitter and your site makes you look like a real prick. Great you know all your clever plant names but you need to know that real gardeners don't care. I am sure your a nice guy but you won't make friends here if your not in touch with what real gardeners want. Maybe a bit less of the fancy plant stuff and more real gardening mate.”

Well that's quite an email (via my website) to wake up to! This person seems to misunderstand my remit here online, so let me make myself completely clear;
  1. I love plants, rare and unusual as well as most common plants- in fact I can't think of any plant I actually hate! I feature the rare and unusual plants because a) they interest me, b) writing about them helps me to learn about them (by researching them), and c) so many other people write great stuff about more common plants that I would just be repeating what they say.
  2. I do use the properly recognised botanical names. Live with it. Google Analytics shows me that my website gets visits from all over the world, even from non-English speaking countries. By using the botanical names I make sure that everyone, from my friend down the road to someone I've never met in South America, Asia or mainland Europe, knows the name of the plant they're looking at.
  3. Real gardeners are mostly the ones who want to know about their subject, whether it's finding the label of a plant they like in a garden or finding inspiration from a book, magazine or the internet. Learning is a key part of gardening, whether it's learning tips from your neighbour or taking a horticultural course. Very few gardeners like to grow the same things, year in year out, the same way forever! As I learn new things I share them, and I love to find out new things from other gardeners.
  4. I was brought up to regard name-calling as a bad thing, especially with people you don't know. In the last month I've been called a lot of things; arrogant, out of touch, several rude things that I can't repeat... This is the internet; you're not locked into anything, you are free to follow and unfollow anyone who you don't agree with, and to go and find people who see the world the same way you do. There are lots of people who don't share my views on gardening and I'm happy to discuss and debate things, but there's never any need to get abusive!

I do 'Ben's Botanics' for fun; I don't get paid for it, I don't have sponsorship. I set up the website,(then Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest) because I like sharing information and like to show off pictures of plants that I grow of have seen. I also spend a lot of time reading other people's stuff, as well as sharing ideas and inspiration. I'm not selling you anything, I'm just here to meet other like-minded people, and I will continue to run Ben's Botanics to the best standards I can.

I'm going to stay with proper plant names because I find them more inclusive for my non-UK followers, and I will continue to feature plants that interest and excite me.

Sorry if anyone if offended by this.

8 comments:

  1. I am sorry Ben that you have received such nonsense. Ignore it. I have a similar approach to you about plants, Latin etc and my blog is consistently amongst the top 5 UK gardening blogs so obviously your correspondence view is in the minority! I write for me and if people enjoy it great but it they don't they don't have to read the blog or follow me on Twitter.
    I had a similar sort of message about 2 years ago which upset me so much I closed my Twitter account. Since returning I have actively avoided certain people and my on line world is a nicer place.
    Carry on doing what you do and ignore this person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for this; its reassuring to hear that it's not just me! I will continue!

      Delete
  2. If you get hate mail you must be doing it right. Seriously I can understand that it ight be upsetting but I a sure that your writing gives people a lot of pleasure. Please don't be discouraged. (I' not a real gardener or gardener of any kind but I am a real nurseryman and botanic names are important and less confusing than common names

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, didn't think of it that way! I do think we should all be able to discuss plants, gardening techniques and general horticulture openly.

      Delete
  3. I don't know why people think it's acceptable to hide behind keyboards and have a go at others. It's mean and cowardly and I am sorry you have been upset. I'm with Helen - carry on as you are, and ignore the haters! Sian x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hate mail! I love it! Print it out and make Angrigami flowers, Ze Frank style.

    As a forager, go Latin or GTFO - colloquial names lead to mistakes 'water celery' anyone? (Oenanthe crocata) Hell, even the Bluebell/Harebell debate. Look, I've read your stuff, I've met you in person, and would not ascribe 'arrogant' to you as an adjective.
    I'd say, when people incapable of grammar, let alone a sesquipedalian exchange resort to slurs, you're winning. The fact that your everyday self has upset people for the simple fact that you are more knowledgable than most, should be viewed as something to strive for. I am jealous of your hate mail.

    Do you think top body builders or any other athletes get hate mail detailing how they are narcissistic over-puffed glory-hounds? You betcha. So...yeah.

    Also, Obvious Troll is Obvious. He fails to mention what 'Real Gardeners' want. Therefore, his pointless post is pointless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a real gardener, in that I am real and a gardener :) and I use the scientific names for plants because (and you rightly point out) that means anyone in the world can know what I'm talking about. Apart, apparently, from this doofus who sends you hate mail. Print it out and compost it, that his words may find a use!

    ReplyDelete